Friday 17 August 2012

Blackpool No. 1

Hiram Maxim's Captive Flying Machine

On the reverse of this postcard is written 'This is where I am playing tonight.'
 
The postcard of the Big Wheel at the Winter Gardens was posted in July 1905 to Mrs Willmer, 69 Thorpe St, Gr Horton Rd, Bradford, Yorkshire.

It reads:
Dear Mother
We arrived safe at half past five.  We have arranged for you to come so send us word what train you will come by then we can meet you it is raining this morning.  I hope you have got all your work done and that you are quite well this is all till you come.  From your Edith.

From various old Blackpool postcards which I own it is apparent that it was not uncommon for working class family members to travel ahead of others, especially if they were working different shifts.  The first holidaymakers would get off the train at Blackpool and then walk about looking for suitable digs - sometimes they had a recommendation from a friend.  Once accommodation was found and they had moved in, they then communicated the details to their relatives who were to follow, or arranged to meet them off the train.

3 comments:

  1. Great postcards. I work near Blackpool and it certainly looks very different today. Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm originally from Penwortham and we used to go to Blackpool for two day trips each summer during the long holidays. I last went back in March 2011 and thought it had changed so much even in the previous 25 years. I can't say I enjoyed the last visit :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, it is a bit of an acquired taste, these days. These days, I much prefer - in no particular order - Pembrokeshire, Dorset and Somerset.

    ReplyDelete